Filippo Meneghetti's film, presented by France at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) for the Oscars 2021, was selected in the first Oscar for Best International Feature Film shortlist. A total of 10 French films (or French coproductions) are included in this first round of shortlists.
Two of Us, majority coproduced for France by Paprika Films, tells the complex love story between two older women. This debut feature by Filippo Meneghetti, sold by The Party Film Sales, had its world premiere at Toronto in 2019, and has since released in a dozen territories, including the USA on February 15, 2021.
Of the 15 films shortlisted in the International Feature Film category (out of the 93 selected - a record), four were French coproductions:
- Night of the Kings by Philippe Lacôte (majority coproduction Banshee Films), which represents the Ivory Coast
- The man who sold his skin by Kaouther Ben Hania (majority coproduction Tanit Films), which represents Tunisia
- The Weeping Woman by Jayro Bustamante (minority coproduction Les Films du Volcan), which represents Guatemala
- Quo Vadis, Aida? by Jasmila Žbanić (minority coproduction Indie Prod), which represents Bosnia and Herzegovina
Among the short films, three French titles have been shortlisted.
In the Animated Short Film category:
- Genius Loci by Adrien Merigeau (Kazak Productions)
- Traces by Hugo Frassetto and Sophie Tavert Macian (Les Films du Nord)
In the Live Action Short Film category:
- Notturno by Gianfranco Rosi (minority coproduction Les Films d'Ici), shortlisted in the Documentary Features category
- Pinocchio by Matteo Garrone (minority coproduction Le Pacte) shortlisted in the Makeup and Hairstyling category
The final nominations will be announced on March 15 and the Oscars' ceremony will take place on April 25 in Hollywood.
--> To discover the complete list of the first round of shortlisted films.