16 July 2020 à 11:54
Outcomes of the international round table discussions initiated by UniFrance
From May 26 through July 7, UniFrance organized a series of 7 weekly international and English-language round tables on the New Realities of the Film Sector, to rethink the future of the audiovisual industry in the world. All related videos and reports can be found below.
From the beginning of the Covid-19 crisis, there has been talk of the "new normal." The traditional film chain has undergone unprecedented adjustments and a new ecosystem has rapidly arisen as a result, with consequences that will be felt in the long term. In this context, UniFrance's conviction is that any reflection on the future of world cinema requires dialogue, cooperation, and collaboration at all levels of the film industry.
The aim of this series of round tables proposed by UniFrance was to bring together the most experienced and innovative world cinema professionals in order to offer a broad and precise vision of all the subjects that concern us today. The series was moderated by British consultant and journalist Michael Gubbins.
Downloadable reports (in French) for each round table provided by Satellifax.
#1 - NEW CHALLENGES FOR THE SALES AND DISTRIBUTION SECTORS In a context where markets are developing digital versions of their 2020 editions, what impact, in the short and long term, will the current crises have on acquisition and distribution strategies?
- Carole Baraton, Charades (France)
- Adolfo Blanco, A Contracorriente Films (Spain)
- Nicolas Brigaud-Robert, Playtime (France)
- Vanja Kaludjercic, Rotterdam International Film Festival (IFFR) (Netherlands)
- Tom Quinn, Neon (United States)
The entire discussion can be seen here: https://youtu.be/gagouJJSQWg
#2 - FILM RELEASES: INNOVATIVE STRATEGIES AND NEW ECONOMIC MODELS
Recent experiments have decided to combine the strength of the digital economy with the experience of the traditional cinema chain involving movie theaters and festivals. Can some of these models be made sustainable and create a new ecosystem?
- Louisa Dent, Curzon (United Kingdom)
- Ariane Giroux-Dallaire, MK2 I MILE END (Canada)
- Richard Lorber, Kino Lorber (United States)
- Radu Mihaileanu, ARP (Auteurs Réalisateurs Producteurs) (France)
- Andrea Occhipinti, Lucky Red (Italy)
The entire discussion can be seen here: https://youtu.be/uzpkjNQGpRs
#3 - THE ROLE OF PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS
In times of crisis, how can public institutions and film funds continue to support cultural diversity and its fabric of independent structures? How has their role been redefined?
- Simone Baumann, German Films (Germany)
- Liza Diño-Seguerra, Film Development Council (Philippines)
- Daniela Elstner, UniFrance (France)
- Mathieu Fournet, CNC (France)
- Claudia Triana de Vargas, Proimágenes (Colombia)
The entire discussion can be seen here: https://youtu.be/aX29UdZ8EpY
#4 - STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS IN THE PROMOTION OF FRENCH ANIMATION ABROAD
- Benoît Berthe Siward, The Animation Showcase (United Kingdom)
- Charlotte Boucon, SND (France)
- Annemie Degryse, Lunanime & Lumière (Belgium)
- Kristina Frajtic, Blitz (Croatia)
- Chance Huskey, GKids & Animation Is Film Festival (United States)
- Eugene Kim, Bucheon International Animation Festival (South Korea)
The entire discussion can be seen here: https://youtu.be/op3j1twBnok
#5 - INCLUSION AND OSCARS: A SPECIAL PRESENTATION BY THE ACADEMY OF MOTION PICTURE ARTS AND SCIENCES
The leaders of the institution will talk about the 2021 Oscars, but also about the Academy's current efforts to further diversify its membership in order to become a more inclusive arts organization.
The entire discussion can be seen here: https://youtu.be/BXompsxiBc8
#6 - THE FUTURE OF EXHIBITION
The closure of movie theaters around the world is unprecedented and has had a devastating effect on the entire film value chain. Faced with the new ecosystem of theatrical releases, what are the conditions for cinemas to reopen successfully?
- Florence Almozini, Film at Lincoln Center (United States)
- Nathanaël Karmitz, mk2 (France)
- Ted Mundorff, Arclight (United States)
- Jane Shao, Lumière Pavilions (China)
- Kim Van Der Werff, Focus Arnhem, member of Europa Cinemas (Netherlands)
The entire discussion can be seen here: https://youtu.be/_SVujJruSLA
#7 - A NEW REALITY FOR CINEMA? A SUMMARY OF THE UNIFRANCE ROUNDTABLES
The aim of this last workshop was to bring together the ideas and reflections arising from the various round tables and to draft a number of conclusions and courses of action for the future.
The entire discussion can be seen here: https://youtu.be/8mik2mG2wzo
Latest update : 28 July 2020 à 11:54 CEST
Linked to this news article
Linked individuals (30)
Benoît Berthe Siward
Adolfo Blanco Lucas
Claudia Triana de Vargas
Sorry, your search returned no results.