More than a dozen French films will be showcased at the 14th Rome Film Festival, which will take place in the Italian capital from October 17 through 27, with screenings held in the presence of a large delegation of around fifteen French actors, directors, and producers.
It's a year of rich pickings for French cinema at the 2019 Rome Film Festival, which features four French productions in the Official Selection: Happy Birthday by Cédric Kahn, The Best is Yet to Come by Alexandre de La Patellière and Matthieu Delaporte (world premiere), Two of Us by Filippo Meneghetti, and Three Days And a Life by Nicolas Boukhrief.
La Belle Epoque by Nicolas Bedos will be screened out of competition in the Tutti Ne Parlano section.
The delegation of French artists attending the event includes all of the directors mentioned below as well as actors Patrick Bruel, Fabrice Luchini, and Martine Chevallier, and producers Sylvie Pialat and Dimitri Rassam.
The festival's parallel section dedicated to younger generations, Alice nella Città, will feature six French productions, including The Dazzled by Sarah Suco and Adolescentes by Sébastien Lifshitz, who will be in attendance at the screening.
The festival will also welcome a number of leading figures in the French movie scene as guests who will take part in a series of Q&As with audiences, with Fanny Ardant, Bertrand Tavernier, and Olivier Assayas traveling to Rome for the Incontri Ravvicinati" encounters.
Jacques Doillon will be present for a tribute event in his honor, which includes the presentation of three of his films—Ponette, Young Werther, and The Hussy—and a master class.
Furthermore, the festival has also programmed a tribute to Max Ophuls, director of French cinema classics such as Lola Montes and The Earrings of Madame de..., with ten of his films presented.
All the French films at the Rome Film Festival
- Two of Us by Filippo Meneghetti
- Happy Birthday by Cédric Kahn
- The Best is Yet to Come by Matthieu Delaporte, Alexandre de La Patellière
- Three Days And a Life by Nicolas Boukhrief
Official Selection: Out of Competition
Alice nella Città - Concorso
- The Dazzled by Sarah Suco
- Lola by Laurent Micheli (minority-French co-production)
Alice nella Città - Fuori Concorso
- Young Ahmed by Luc Dardenne, Jean-Pierre Dardenne (minority co-production)
Alice nella Città - Eventi Speciali
- Ailo's Journey by Guillaume Maidatchevsky
- Escape from Raqqa by Emmanuel Hamon
- Playmobil: The Movie by Lino DiSalvo
Alice nella Città - Panorama Internazionale
- Adolescentes by Sébastien Lifshitz
- Adoration by Fabrice du Welz (minority co-production)
- Zombi Child by Bertrand Bonello
The 2019 Rome Film Festival program can be downloaded here.