16 January 2020 à 13:18
UniFrance releases results for French Films abroad in 2019 (box office revenue, presence on SVOD platforms and at international festivals)
In 2019, French films sold 40.5 million tickets abroad and generated 244.4 million euros in box office receipts. Attendance figures for French films in international theaters in 2019 show a certain stability, while French cinema has strengthened its status as favorite at the major international film festivals and results have been released of the first study on the position of French films on SVOD platforms worldwide.
• KEY FIGURES AND TRENDS •
- 40.5* million admissions abroad (up 1.25%** compared to the provisional figure in 2018 announced in January 2019) / Note: in France, French films generated 74.7 million admissions in 2019***
- 244.4* millions euros in receipts (up 3.12%** compared to the provisional figure in 2018 announced in January 2019)
- 34.4* million admissions (85% of the total) for majority-French productions (up 32.3%** compared to January 2019)
- 24* million admissions (59.2% of the total) for French language films (down 2.43%** compared to January 2019)
- 721* French films on release in foreign theaters (up 8.42%** compared to January 2019)
- 7* French films sold more than 1 million tickets abroad (1** more than in January 2019)
- 64* French films drew more than 100,000 spectators abroad (14** fewer than in January 2019)
- Figures in line with 2018
- Italy remains the leading territory in terms of admissions for French films, ahead of Germany and Spain
Complete data can be found in the attached document (in French or English).
* The figures given in this brochure are provisional and non-exhaustive. The definitive figures will be available in the fall and will inevitably be higher.
** This year, for greater coherence, the percentage changes have been calculated compared to the provisional 2018 figures announced in January 2019 (and not compared to the definitive 2018 figures announced in October 2019).
*** Provisional data estimated by the CNC.
• FRENCH FILMS AT THE INTERNATIONAL
FESTIVALS IN 2019 •
French cinema is an essential feature of the international festival scene. In terms of number of titles screened, it is in first place in five of the 10 events surveyed, ahead of local production and the United States. On average, French cinema has a 19% share of the total number of films selected by the 10 top international film festivals. In other words, in the line-ups of the 10 festivals surveyed in 2019, one in five films is either majority or minority French financed. French movies also feature strongly among award-winners, as illustrated by the 14 major awards won in 2019.
• FRENCH FILMS ON SVOD PLATFORMS •
What is the position of French films on SVOD platforms around the world? UniFrance releases this information in a new, unprecedented study that analyzes 56 distributors in 39 countries (outside France). Although Netflix and Amazon Prime Video account for almost two thirds of the content examined in the study, the supply of content on a local and global level is increasing, allowing us to see beyond what has until now been a highly limited perception of the sector. French films thus represent 2.4% of the global film offer to SVOD providers.
The full study is attached to this article (French only).
Latest update : 16 January 2020 à 13:18 CET