Studies & Market Reports
13 May 2018 à 12:13
UniFrance releases a study on the presence of French films on iTunes and Netflix in Europe
What is French productions' share in the catalogs of the major international VOD platforms? On Thursday, May 10, in Cannes, UniFrance presented the first publication from our new VOD market indicator, highlighting the current position of French films on the two leading pan-European digital TVOD and SVOD platforms.
Based on data compiled by the European Audiovisual Observatory at the end of 2017, this indicator presents, for the first time, statistics showing the percentage of French films included in the film catalogs of iTunes and Netflix in Europe (excluding France).
Key figures and findings revealed in this unprecedented study:
- 3.5% of films available on iTunes and Netflix in Europe (excluding France) are French films
- On Netflix, 1.9% of films available are French, with French films most highly-represented in Italy, where they account for 3.7% of the catalog
- On iTunes, 4.4% of films available are French, with Belgium offering the largest number of French films, which occupy 10.4% of the catalog
- Approximately 2 out of 3 French films are French-language productions (71.9% on iTunes, 62.1% on Netflix)
- While French dramas and comedies each represent one third of all French films on iTunes, comedies are the dominant genre on Netflix (37%), with dramas accounting for 25%
- On Netflix, more than 3 out of 4 French films were produced after 2009 (76%), while on iTunes, 1 out of 2 French films were produced before 2010 (49%)
A detailed analysis by market region, language, film genre, production year, and budget is presented in the complete study (in French only), which can be downloaded as a PDF file below.
Latest update : 18 May 2018 à 12:13 CEST