gets a new look !
Sylvain George is a French poet and filmmaker. After studying philosophy, he produced since five years some poetical, political and experimental films, on the theme of immigration and socials movments.
He make some collaborations with artists who are engage in their art and politic as Archie Shepp, William Parker, Valérie Dréville, Okkyung Lee, John Edwards, John Butcher…
His films are screened in militant networks, underground place as well as in national and international films festivals and places (Centre Pompidou, Forum des Images, Festival de Lussas, FID Marseille, FilmmakerFilm Festival/Cinémathèque de Milan, CPH:DOX, Torino Film Festival, DocLisboa, Valdivia, BAFICI, Cinémathèque de Copenhague, Viennale, Festival de Rotterdam, Bam, Anthology Films Archive, Ficunam, Punto de Vista, Festival de Venise, Ficunam, Ambulante, Edoc, Lima Independent Film Festival, UCLA Film & Television Archive…); he have each year some special tribute (Cinémathèque Française, FilmmakerFilmFestival, Festival des Cinéma différents, Périphérie/Jacques Rancière 2009, Doc's Kingdom 2009, Subversive Film Festival 2010, Slovenian Cinemathec 2011, Festival Courtisane 2011, Rio Bravo in Copenhagen 2011, CineMigrante 2011, Punto de Vista international Seminar 2012, Flaherty seminar 2012, Lima Independent Film Festival 2013, Mediterranean Film Festival Roma 2013, Milano Film festival 2013...).
His films won several prizes:
- Prize of the best international film at the Filmmaker Film festival 2010 “May they rest in revolt (Figures of wars I)”
- Prize of the best film in the international competition and the FIPRESCI prize of the best film of the international critic at the Bafici 2011 for “May they rest in revolt (Figures of wars I)”;
- Prize of the jury in Valdivia 2010 for “May they rest in revolt (Figures of wars I)” ;
- Mention of honor in Pesaro 2011 for “May they rest in revolt (Figures of wars I)”;
- Prize of the best international film at the Torino Film festival 2011 for “The outbursts (My mouth, my revolt, my name)”;
- Prize of the audience “Wild Dreamer” for “Vers Madrid – The Burning Bright” at the Subersive Film festival 2013.
- Mention of honor for “Vers Madrid – The Burning Bright” at MedFilmFestival 2013.
He teaches at the Institut de Sciences Politiques de Paris (IEP), give masterclass and workshop all over the world (FEMIS, Punto de Vista, Instituto Politécnico de Tomar, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon (ENS Lyon), Lima Independente Film Festival, Filmmaker Film Festival/Milano Film Festival, EICTV…).
"An essential work, which is very high some idea of rights and duties of cinema. "
Nicole Brenez for the French Cinematheque, February 29, 2008.